Known for the complex rhymes of his songs, the signature metal mask, and the supervillain persona on stage, MF Doom was one of the most celebrated hip-hop figures in the 2000s.
Although he was known as an underground artist, the late rapper was able to be a bonafide millionaire. MF Doom net worth at the time of his death was $1 million, thanks to his mainstream publicity and the support of his loyal fanbase that help boost MF Doom net worth.
How was the story behind MF Doom net worth and wealth? Read this article to explore further the life and legacies of MF Doom.
|Stage Name||MF Doom, Zev Love X, Viktor Vaughn, King Geedorah, Metal Fingers, Metal Face Doom,|
|Legal Name||Dumile Daniel Thompson|
|Date of Birth||July 13, 1971|
|Height||5’4” (1,65 m)|
|Net worth||$1 million|
|Salary / earning / income per year||$400,000|
|Profession||Rapper, Songwriter, Recorded Producer|
Personal Details of MF Doom
- Legal and Stage Name:
- MF Doom’s real name was Dumile Daniel Thompson. Although variations like “Daniel Dumile Thompson” and “Dumile Thompson Dumile” often appeared, throughout his life as an artist, he was commonly referred to as “Daniel Dumile”.
- He had taken several stage names in his careers, such as Metal Fingers, King Geedorah, Viktor Vaughn, and Zev Love X. But his most famously known stage name was MF Doom, or Metal Face Doom.
- Date of Birth:
- Although some sources mentioned that MF Doom’s birthday was in January, MF Doom was actually born on July 13, 1971.
- Gender and Height:
- MF Doom was a male. He was 1,65 m (5’4”) tall.
- Although his parents had no affiliation with British culture, MF Doom was a British citizen throughout his life.
- He happened to be born in London when his mother was visiting a family. Not long after, MF Doom and his family migrated to Long Island, New York, and continue to live in Long Beach.
- However, he never gained American citizenship, and keep his British nationality.
- What is MF Doom Best Known for?
- MF Doom had released a few solo and collaborative albums. The Mm..Food (2004) was the critically acclaimed album that he promoted under the MF Doom persona.
- The other two solo albums he produced between 2003-2005 were released under the pseudonym Viktor Vaughn and one under the name King Geedorah.
- MF Doom’s album that was often considered as his most important work was Madvillainy (2004), which was produced by Madlib under the name Madvillain. This album was considered a landmark album in the hip-hop music scene.
Story of Life
Born as Dumile Daniel Thompson, MF Doom was born in Hounslow, London. His Trinidadian mother gave birth to him on July 13, 1971. According to MF Doom, he was conceived in the United States by his mother and his Zimbabwean father. After moving back from London to New York, he said that he had no recollection of his childhood in London.
MF Doom began DJing during the summer after third grade. As a child, he became fond of comic books and turned into a collector. He earned the nickname “Doom” (based on the name of Marvel comic character and a phonetic play on his name Dumile) among his friends and family.
When MF Doom went to junior high school in the late 80s, he wanted to spread knowledge to his peers about hip hop. He and his brother then formed a rap group named KMD with a mutual friend, to raise consciousness towards hip hop music that was becoming popular in New York.
In the summer of 1993, his brother was struck by a car and killed while crossing the freeway. After the incident, MF Doom was disappearing from the public eye for nearly half a decade. In this hiatus period, he struggled with homelessness, while he became a new father after having a son, King Malachi Ezekiel Dumile. His wife Jasmine Dumile, who at that time provided the family, used to cheer him up so he could re-emerge. At some point, he managed to record an LP called Operation: Doomsday in 1999. From this point onward, MF Doom’s career trajectory was going up and became quite stable.
MF Doom was actively producing music throughout two periods, 1988-1993 and 1997-2020. Over these periods he managed to create six solo albums and nine collaborative albums. During his career, MF Doom was known as one of the most celebrated hip-hop musicians. He influenced his artistic peers and became a massive inspiration. MF Doom’s characteristic lied in his creative wordplay, loose and conversational flow, with also technical precision. These factors contributed to the sales of his works which led to the increase of his net worth.
MF Doom Net Worth
How much is MF Doom’s net worth?
MF Doom net worth was may not as much as other mainstream Hip-Hop artists, since he was considered more of an underground rapper. Despite being an underground artist, MF Doom was able to generate a net worth of $1 million at the end of his life. Although the amount was not a much as other hip-hop artists, the amount was enough for him to live off. He admitted that he was motivated to create new music to obtain income so he can survive. Most of his income was from his album sales and stage performances.
- MF Doom Net Worth in the form of Business
One of MF Doom’s businesses was a record label named Metal Face which was founded in 2000. It had 32 album releases from 2002 until around 2017. This record label had contributed quite a large portion of MF Doom net worth.
- MF Doom Net Worth in the form of Real Estate
Despite having quite a lot of net worth, there is currently no property investment listed under MF Doom’s name. It may not contribute significantly to MF Doom Net Worth.
- Sport Cars / Yatch / Vehicles
There was a home video of MF Doom cruising in a boat around 2015 and 2017. However, the ownership of the boat was unclear.
- How much does MF Doom make per year?
As a renowned rapper with cult followers with pretty high net worth, MF Doom made approximately $400,000 per year.
- How does MF Doom make money?
Aside from his songs and live performances, MF Doom net worth and salary came from his contract with recording labels and world tours.
At the beginning of 2018, MF Doom was collaborating with Czarface to make Czarface Meets Metal Face album. The first single of the album is “Nautical Depth”. Aside from this album, his works until 2020 were mostly as guest appearances on other artists’ tracks. After October 2021, there were several posthumous singles released in collaboration with other artists that help maintain MF Doom net worth. In May 2021, MF Doom’s second album with Czarface Super What? was released posthumously.
On December 31, 2020, Jasmine Dumile announced on Instagram that her husband MF Doom had died 2 months prior. The death was confirmed by his representative. It is still unclear what is the cause of the death of MF Doom. But the hip-hop world was shocked and devastated by his passing.
MF Doom passed away 3 years after he announced that his 14-year-old son had died. Although MF Doom is already gone, his spirit and legacy always remain in the heart of his fans. As of his death in 2020, MF Doom net worth is reaching $1 million.